What the Brain Does
Each part of your brain has a role in controlling your body. The brain controls your breathing, heart rate, digestion, temperature regulation, and movement. The brain also allows you to think, handle emotions, and make judgments.
Roles of Different Areas in the Brain
- The front of the brain is the center for emotions and reasoning. This is where much of your personality comes from. Memory is mainly stored in both temporal lobes.
- The right side of your brain controls the left side of your body. The right side also directs problem-solving and spatial skills, such as judging distance and recognizing faces.
- The left side of your brain controls the right side of your body. It also handles most verbal or language skills.
- The brain stem handles basic body functions, such as breathing, blood flow, and swallowing.
- The back of your brain controls vision.
- The cerebellum is the part of your brain located immediately below your visual cortex. It controls coordination.