Thinking of returning to work?
There are likely many questions running through your mind before you decide if returning to work is the right choice for you.
- Do you want to work full-time or part-time?
- Do you want to go back to the same employer, job and responsibilities?
- Do you want to try something different as a career?
- Can you ease back to work and gain new skills by volunteering?
- What will happen to my Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) if I return to work?
These are all questions to consider when thinking about returning to work after a stroke. There is no right or wrong answer to many of these questions.
Use this Decision Tree to help you chart your course.
Ticket to Work Program (For USA individuals - Some Jamaicans have dual citizenship)
Everyone age 18 through 64 who receives Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and/or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits because of their disability is eligible to participate in the Ticket to Work Program.
Participation in the Ticket to Work Program is free and voluntary. The ultimate goal of the program is to provide supports that reduce dependence on disability benefits and help participants earn more income than benefits alone can provide.
The Ticket to Work Program provides most people receiving Social Security benefits (beneficiaries) more choices for receiving employment services. Under this program, most beneficiaries become eligible for the Ticket to Work Program when they start to receive SSDI or SSI benefits based on disability.
Ticket to Work Program
The Ticket to Work Program provides most people receiving Social Security benefits (beneficiaries) more choices for receiving employment services. The Ticket to Work Program allows participants to continue to receive benefits until earned wages or self-employment income rises above the applicable earnings limit for the Supplemental Security Income or Social Security Disability Insurance program, known as Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA).
If you participate in the Ticket to Work Program you can receive services from an SSA-approved Employment Network (EN). An EN can help you:
- Increase your income
- Gain personal fulfillment
- Enhance social engagement
About Ticket to Work
While you may not be able to return to your prior job and employer after your stroke, there are services that can help you find new work that aligns with your experience, abilities, and interests.
- Career planning
- Work incentive/benefits counseling
- Resume building/interview preparation
- Job search/job placement assistance
- Ongoing support once employment is obtained